23 May 2024
Wednesday 9 September 2015 - 09:40
Story Code : 179629

Iran, Russia reject military approaches to Mideast crises

Senior Iranian and Russian diplomats have once again expressed their countries opposition to the settlement of ongoing crises in the Middle East through military approaches.

In a telephone conversation, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and his Russian counterpart Mikhail Bogdanov discussed the latest developments in the Middle East, particularly thecrises in Syria and Yemen.

They stressed the importance of finding political solutions to the conflicts in Yemen and Syria based on international regulations and the UN Charter.

Amir-Abdollahian and Bogdanov said the use of violence would only spread extremism and hatred, addingthat terrorism can be effectively confronted through regional and international cooperation.

Tehran and Moscow believe that any solution underminingthe role of the Syrian people, state bodies and President Bashar al-Assad will bear no fruits, the Iranian and Russian diplomats said.

Syria has been facing a foreign-backed militancy including by Daesh terrorists since 2011.



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="555"] A man tries to clear the rubble on September 6, 2015 in the border city of Kobani, northern Syria. AFP[/caption]

The conflict in the Arab country has reportedly claimed the lives of over 250,000 and displaced some 11 million more.The Daesh militants, who currently control areas across Syria as well as northern and western Iraq, have been carrying out horrific acts of violence, including public decapitations, against Iraqi and Syrian communities such as Shias, Sunnis, Kurds, and Christians.

Amir-Abdollahian and Bogdanov also condemned the use of force against civilians in Yemen, urging a political solution to the conflict in the impoverished-country.

They expressed concern over the spread of terrorism and serious humanitarian crisis in Yemen and called on the UN to make more effective efforts for the delivery of aid.

On March 26, Saudi Arabia began its aggression against Yemen without a UN mandate in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="555"] Smoke billows from buildings after Saudi airstrikes on the police academy in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on September 8, 2015. AFP[/caption]

 

The conflict has so far left about 4,500 people dead and thousands of others wounded, the UN says. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.

By Press TV
https://theiranproject.com/vdcdxn0fnyt0596.em2y.html
Your Name
Your Email Address